March 17, 2006

Today I am leaving for a week's vacation with my family. So I'm sort of working and sort of going through my checklist of things that have to be done before I leave. Laundry, pack, clean out the refrigerator, take out the garbage, write a journal entry. The problem for me with doing projects around the house is that once I start on one project, it somehow begets five more. I think to myself that before I vacuum, I should really dust, and wow, while I'm at it, my keyboard is filthy...I'll just pop all the keys off and clean them and then dust and then vacuum, and then before I know it half the day is gone. Anyway, I am trying not to let that happen today (although I did clean the keyboard and it looks much nicer. I should really stop eating sesame-seed bagels at my desk).

I got quite a few responses to my last entry about my thyroid problems. I knew that thyroid problems were pretty common, but didn't realize that many people I already knew also have thyroid issues, including a woman I used to work with, and Eliza, who is pretty much going through the exact same thing I am. Since I last wrote, I went in for that thyroid ultrasound, which was actually a pretty weird experience. For one thing, I was the only person at the ultrasound place who was not pregnant. Even the technician who did my scan was pregnant! So, I was a little surprised and disappointed that when she started doing my thyroid scan and I joked with her, "so, is it a boy or a girl?" she just gave me a funny look. I was also surprised by how uncomfortable the whole thing was, since everyone always says that ultrasound is so great because it's completely noninvasive. But I guess having it on your pregnant belly is probably less unpleasant than having someone jab a piece of hard plastic at the lump in your throat for 45 minutes. Yeah, 45 minutes, that was the other weird part. I didn't think it would take that long. I suspect that maybe the technician didn't actually know what she was doing (in addition to her deficient sense of humor). And then after all that, I still haven't bothered to call the doctor for my results. I figure they would have called me if it showed anything really bad, and I'll have to call in after I get my next blood test anyway, and trying to call my doctor and deal with busy signals and voice mail and phone tag is one of those things I can only handle about once a month. This whole experience has made me so grateful that I don't have anything seriously wrong with me, because having something moderately wrong has been about as much stress as I think I can take on.

Anyway, I should really wrap this up and get on with my last minute vacation preparations, but on one last note, if you are a U.S. voter, I would like to direct your attention to this: The National Popular Election of the President. It's a brilliant scheme to circumvent the electoral college without having to pass a consitutional amendment. The way it works is that states would form an interstate compact in which each state would pledge its electoral votes in a presidential election to the winner of the national popular vote. But the compact wouldn't kick in until enough states had joined up to have enough electoral votes to decide the election. This would mean that everyone's vote would count equally, instead of the current system where voters in a few swing states decide the elections. The scheme has already been endorsed by the New York Times and the Chicago Sun-Times. If you're still not convinced, read Henrik Hertzberg's New Yorker article on it, and then sign the petition.

previous main next